British actress Jean Simmons, who starred alongside Laurence Olivier in Hamlet, died Friday in Santa Monica of lung cancer at the age of 80. The actress also appeared in such films as Guys and Dolls (as Sergeant Sarah Brown opposite Marlon Brando’s Sky Masterson), Elmer Gantry, and Spartacus, and won an Emmy award for her work in the 1980s miniseries The Thorn Birds. Simmons was also twice nominated for an Academy Award, once for best actress in The Happy Ending, and once best supporting actress in Hamlet.
Posted January 23 2010 — 10:47 AM EST
- Carpool Karaoke confession: Madonna made out with Michael Jackson
- Pioneering stand-up comedian Adrianne Tolsch dies at 78
- Jennifer Hudson's 'Hairspray Live!' performance had celebs cheering
- Relive 'Hairspray Live!' with all the best GIFs
- Jennifer Lopez teases 'Bye Bye Birdie,' NBC's next live musical
- Kristin Davis thinks the 'Sex and the City' story is 'not finished'
- The Weeknd will perform on 'The Voice' season finale
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot