Zombieland isn’t the first film to riff on the undead. Edgar Wright’s Shaun of the Dead beat it by five years?and did it a whole lot better. But this ripsnorting road movie is still a yukfest in every sense of the word. Mostly, it’s because of the mischievous twinkle in Woody Harrelson’s eyes as his armed-to-the-teeth redneck survivor of the zombie plague saddles up with a nerdy loner (Adventureland’s one-note Eisenberg) and a pair of crafty gal con artists (Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin) to outrun the flesh-eating horde. If all of the flick’s grue and gore puts you off, stick with it. There’s a priceless celebrity cameo toward the end that’s easily worth the price of a rental alone. The only EXTRA worth mentioning is a busy audio commentary that, frankly, would’ve been better if it had more of Harrelson and less of everyone else. B
THEY SHOOT ZOMBIES, DON'T THEY? Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson are gunning for action in Zombieland (Glen Wilson)
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Abigail Breslin, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone; Director: Ruben Fleischer; Author: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick; Release Date Wide: 10/02/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted January 27 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lin-Manuel Miranda to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Jon Favreau to direct a new adaptation of 'The Lion King'
- 'Magicians' series author Lev Grossman is writing a book about Camelot
- 'Pretty Little Liars' boss reveals series finale title
- Mandy Moore talks ex Wilmer Valderrama dating pal Minka Kelly
- Alicia Machado had eating disorder when Trump called her 'Miss Piggy'
- WATCH: Trailer debuts for doc 'Sky Ladder: The Art of Cai Guo-Qiang'