Zombieland isn’t the first film to riff on the undead. Edgar Wright’s Shaun of the Dead beat it by five years?and did it a whole lot better. But this ripsnorting road movie is still a yukfest in every sense of the word. Mostly, it’s because of the mischievous twinkle in Woody Harrelson’s eyes as his armed-to-the-teeth redneck survivor of the zombie plague saddles up with a nerdy loner (Adventureland’s one-note Eisenberg) and a pair of crafty gal con artists (Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin) to outrun the flesh-eating horde. If all of the flick’s grue and gore puts you off, stick with it. There’s a priceless celebrity cameo toward the end that’s easily worth the price of a rental alone. The only EXTRA worth mentioning is a busy audio commentary that, frankly, would’ve been better if it had more of Harrelson and less of everyone else. B
THEY SHOOT ZOMBIES, DON'T THEY? Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson are gunning for action in Zombieland (Glen Wilson)
Genre: Horror, Comedy; Starring: Abigail Breslin, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone; Director: Ruben Fleischer; Author: Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick; Release Date Wide: 10/02/2009; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted January 27 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters