With stars like Steve Buscemi and Sarah Silverman and big-fish producers such as Spike Lee and Stanley Tucci on board, you’d think this indie would offer some glimmer of wit or originality. Think again. Saint John of Las Vegas, writer-?director Hue Rhodes’ excruciatingly awful feature debut, is a shaggy road movie to nowhere. An uncharacteristically bland Buscemi plays a gambling addict/insurance-fraud investigator who stumbles across a series of ”quirky” characters (a stripper in a wheelchair, a gun-crazy nudist, and a human-fireball carny) while trying to debunk a claim. Sound painful? You didn’t have to sit through it, pal. D-
THE DESERT IS SYMBOLIC Steve Buscemi and Romany Malco take a drive in Saint John of Las Vegas
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Peter Dinklage, Romany Malco, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Tim Blake Nelson, Sarah Silverman; Director: Hue Rhodes; Author: Hue Rhodes; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- See the exclusive trailer to Amy Berg's explosive Hollywood pedophile documentary, 'An Open Secret'
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!