With stars like Steve Buscemi and Sarah Silverman and big-fish producers such as Spike Lee and Stanley Tucci on board, you’d think this indie would offer some glimmer of wit or originality. Think again. Saint John of Las Vegas, writer-?director Hue Rhodes’ excruciatingly awful feature debut, is a shaggy road movie to nowhere. An uncharacteristically bland Buscemi plays a gambling addict/insurance-fraud investigator who stumbles across a series of ”quirky” characters (a stripper in a wheelchair, a gun-crazy nudist, and a human-fireball carny) while trying to debunk a claim. Sound painful? You didn’t have to sit through it, pal. D-
THE DESERT IS SYMBOLIC Steve Buscemi and Romany Malco take a drive in Saint John of Las Vegas
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Steve Buscemi, Peter Dinklage, Romany Malco, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Tim Blake Nelson, Sarah Silverman; Director: Hue Rhodes; Author: Hue Rhodes; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- Director John Carpenter pays tribute to the late Wes Craven
- Read Kanye West's epic VMAs speech in full
- Hollywood pays tribute to horror master Wes Craven
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!