If watching yet another comely couple zip through the Eternal City on a Vespa sounds mildly fun, be forwarned: When in Rome doesn’t even offer that. Instead, we get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise: Type A museum curator Beth (Kristen Bell) is besieged by creepy suitors (including Danny DeVito and Will Arnett) when she plucks their wishing coins from an enchanted fountain. The catch for her is that a studly writer (Josh Duhamel) may also be under her spell. The catch for us, after watching Beth slog through one too many failed gags, is that we most certainly are not. D+
ALL DRESSED UP Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell survey the scene in When in Rome (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Alexis Dziena, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman; Release Date Wide: 01/29/2010; Status: In Season
Posted January 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!