If watching yet another comely couple zip through the Eternal City on a Vespa sounds mildly fun, be forwarned: When in Rome doesn’t even offer that. Instead, we get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise: Type A museum curator Beth (Kristen Bell) is besieged by creepy suitors (including Danny DeVito and Will Arnett) when she plucks their wishing coins from an enchanted fountain. The catch for her is that a studly writer (Josh Duhamel) may also be under her spell. The catch for us, after watching Beth slog through one too many failed gags, is that we most certainly are not. D+
ALL DRESSED UP Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell survey the scene in When in Rome (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Alexis Dziena, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman; Release Date Wide: 01/29/2010
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo