If watching yet another comely couple zip through the Eternal City on a Vespa sounds mildly fun, be forwarned: When in Rome doesn’t even offer that. Instead, we get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise: Type A museum curator Beth (Kristen Bell) is besieged by creepy suitors (including Danny DeVito and Will Arnett) when she plucks their wishing coins from an enchanted fountain. The catch for her is that a studly writer (Josh Duhamel) may also be under her spell. The catch for us, after watching Beth slog through one too many failed gags, is that we most certainly are not. D+
ALL DRESSED UP Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell survey the scene in When in Rome (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Alexis Dziena, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman; Release Date Wide: 01/29/2010
Posted January 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Sam Shepard arrested on drunk driving charges
- Ransom Riggs talks 'Library of Souls,' reveals cover art
- Joni Mitchell discusses fame in unearthed 1986 interview
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!