If watching yet another comely couple zip through the Eternal City on a Vespa sounds mildly fun, be forwarned: When in Rome doesn’t even offer that. Instead, we get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise: Type A museum curator Beth (Kristen Bell) is besieged by creepy suitors (including Danny DeVito and Will Arnett) when she plucks their wishing coins from an enchanted fountain. The catch for her is that a studly writer (Josh Duhamel) may also be under her spell. The catch for us, after watching Beth slog through one too many failed gags, is that we most certainly are not. D+
ALL DRESSED UP Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell survey the scene in When in Rome (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Alexis Dziena, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman; Release Date Wide: 01/29/2010; Status: In Season
Posted January 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters