If watching yet another comely couple zip through the Eternal City on a Vespa sounds mildly fun, be forwarned: When in Rome doesn’t even offer that. Instead, we get three acts of labored slapstick wrung from an eye-roller of a premise: Type A museum curator Beth (Kristen Bell) is besieged by creepy suitors (including Danny DeVito and Will Arnett) when she plucks their wishing coins from an enchanted fountain. The catch for her is that a studly writer (Josh Duhamel) may also be under her spell. The catch for us, after watching Beth slog through one too many failed gags, is that we most certainly are not. D+
ALL DRESSED UP Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell survey the scene in When in Rome (Myles Aronowitz)
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Alexis Dziena, Will Arnett, Dax Shepard; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: David Diamond (Writer), David Weissman; Release Date Wide: 01/29/2010
Posted January 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6