Once a ”Smooth Operator,” now a Soldier of Love: After 25 years, has Sade finally allowed global events to sour the avant-soul outfit that bears her name? Nah. Beyond the surprisingly hard-thumping title track, the group’s first album since 2000’s Lovers Rock sticks faithfully to the lush quiet-storm sound that’s influenced younger artists from Maxwell to Everything but the Girl. Given the singer’s still-incredible voice — imagine the world’s sexiest yoga instructor leading an epic om — that lack of evolution hardly presents a problem. On songs like the space-folky ”Long Hard Road” and the reggae-scented ”Babyfather,” Sade exhales peerlessly while the boys behind her fluff one heck of a sonic pillow. Weary bones, rest here. A
Soldier of LoveOnce a ''Smooth Operator,'' now a Soldier of Love: After 25 years, has Sade finally allowed global events to sour the avant-soul outfit...Soldier of LoveR&BOnce a ''Smooth Operator,'' now a Soldier of Love: After 25 years, has Sade finally allowed global events to sour the avant-soul outfit...2010-02-03
BRING US HOME Sade
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sade
Posted February 3 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!