Betty White has won the Super Bowl. Commercials. According to this year’s USA Today Ad Meter, the five best-received of last night’s Super Bowl ads were Snickers, Doritos, Bud Light, Budweiser, and Coke – the African sleepwalker one, not the Simpsons one that could have used more monorail. Even though my personal favorite ads (Kia Sorrento’s “toys come to life” and Google’s “search term history affirms man’s milestone-rich life”) were left off the list, I wholeheartedly approve this message because I wholeheartedly approve of the prospected ingestion of processed crap. The Top 5 and Bottom 5 ads are listed after the jump. Two GoDaddy.com commercials in the bottom 5. That company (whatever the hell it is) must be trying to make its ads as lame as possible, right?
The 5 Most-Liked Super Bowl Commercials (according to USA Today)
1. Mars’ Snickers – Guy plays football like Betty White
2. Doritos – Dog puts shock collar on owner
3. Bud Light – Man builds house out of beer cans
4. Budweiser – Fences don’t come in between friends
5. Coca-Cola – African sleepwalker finally gets Coke
The 5 Least-Liked Super Bowl Commercials
63. GoDaddy.com – Danica Patrick gets a massage
62. Hyundai’s Sonata – Paint as a work of art
61. Select 55 – World’s lightest beer
60. GoDaddy.com – Danica Patrick too hot for TV?
59. Dockers – Men running through field without pants
USA Today described its Ad Meter as such: “USA TODAY assembled 250 adult volunteers in San Diego and McLean, Va., and electronically charted their second-by-second reactions to ads during the Super Bowl. Shugoll Research and Taylor Research chose the volunteers, who used handheld meters to register how much they liked each ad. A computer continuously averaged the scores. Scores are the highest average for each ad.”
More of EW’s Super Bowl coverage:
Michael Slezak’s 5 best and 5 worst Super Bowl commercials
PopWatch’s “Everything But the Game” Super Bowl live blog
The inside scoop on the Letterman-Leno-Oprah ad, from Dave’s Late Show producer!
Ken Tucker’s take on that controversial Tim Tebow ad
Our Music Mix blog’s reviews of Carrie Underwood’s National Anthem and the Who’s halftime show
Annie on Twitter: @EWAnnieBarrett