Paha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general’s body — or “counts coup,” ?as it’s called — at the Battle of the Little ?Bighorn in 1876. The spirit communes with Paha Sapa up until 1936, when the elderly man plots to demolish Mount Rushmore, built on a holy Sioux site. Paha Sapa, who works there as a stonecutter, emerges as a complex figure struggling with a disappearing nationality and a shifting sense of self — not to mention the yammering id of the general’s lingering spectre. Though some passages of Black Hills sink into tourist-pamphlet minutiae, Simmons (Drood) keeps the tale buoyant with his evocative prose and storytelling muscle. B+
Black HillsPaha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general's body — or "counts coup," ?as...Black HillsFiction, HistoryDan SimmonsPaha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general's body — or "counts coup," ?as...2010-02-17Reagan Arthur Books
Black Hills by Dan Simmons
Genre: Fiction, History; Author: Dan Simmons; Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books
Posted February 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- 'Mad Men' finale attracts record audience
- Cast your vote in EW's TV Season Finale Awards
- 'Scream Queens' featurette presents new peeks at fall horror comedy
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!