Paha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general’s body — or “counts coup,” ?as it’s called — at the Battle of the Little ?Bighorn in 1876. The spirit communes with Paha Sapa up until 1936, when the elderly man plots to demolish Mount Rushmore, built on a holy Sioux site. Paha Sapa, who works there as a stonecutter, emerges as a complex figure struggling with a disappearing nationality and a shifting sense of self — not to mention the yammering id of the general’s lingering spectre. Though some passages of Black Hills sink into tourist-pamphlet minutiae, Simmons (Drood) keeps the tale buoyant with his evocative prose and storytelling muscle. B+
Black HillsPaha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general's body — or "counts coup," ?as...Black HillsFiction, HistoryDan SimmonsPaha Sapa is a 10-year-?old Sioux boy who inherits the ghost of George ?Armstrong Custer when he touches the general's body — or "counts coup," ?as...2010-02-17Reagan Arthur Books
Black Hills by Dan Simmons
Genre: Fiction, History; Author: Dan Simmons; Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!