The pleasures of a Henning Mankell book have much to do with Kurt Wallander, his crabby but appealing Swedish police inspector. The Man From Beijing, though, is a one-off, a complex and enormously satisfying thriller that features not Wallander but a female equivalent, Judge Birgitta Roslin. The massacre of 19 people in a remote snowbound village shocks all of Sweden, but no one more than Roslin, who has family ties to the place. Roslin is soon swept into a vast spiderwebbed story that spans two centuries and three continents, moving back and forth between Sweden, Beijing, and America. Flashbacks rarely work in mysteries, but here they do, thanks to Mankell’s sheer skill. This is hands down the best thriller I’ve read in five years. A
The Man from BeijingThe pleasures of a Henning Mankell book have much to do with Kurt Wallander, his crabby but appealing Swedish police inspector. The Man From...The Man from BeijingMystery and Thriller, FictionHenning MankellThe pleasures of a Henning Mankell book have much to do with Kurt Wallander, his crabby but appealing Swedish police inspector. The Man From...2010-02-17Knopf
The Man From Beijing by Henning Mankell
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Henning Mankell; Publisher: Knopf
Posted February 17 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- Alicia Keys returns with '28 Thousand Days'
- Jon Stewart reveals his final three 'Daily Show' guests
- 'Key & Peele' have a very 'awkward' conversation about pop-culture opinions
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!