Emotionally mesmerizing. Set in the multiethnic city of Jaffa, this Academy Award nominee for Best ? Foreign Language Film is like an Israeli Amores Perros crossed with City of God. Using a nonprofessional cast, Ajami looks at the Middle East powder keg from both sides, weaving a time-fractured story of drug dealing, romance, and economic peril. As a shockingly unjust revenge murder sets off a cycle of fear, we feel how the violence of life in Israel has embedded itself in every interaction, even for those on the same side. A
READY, AIM, QUAGMIRE Fouad Habash prepares to shoot in Ajami
Genre: Foreign Language, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Shahir Kabaha, Eran Naim; Director: Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani; Author: Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Kino International
Posted February 18 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joy Behar turned down an offer to return to 'The View'
- Valerie Harper hospitalized before performance in Maine
- NBC wants Beyonce for 'The Wiz' (but there is no deal)
- 10 retro love song suggestions from breakout blues star Anderson East
- This is what it looks like when 1,000 people cover Foo Fighters' 'Learn To Fly'
- Caption this: Your best responses to our cheeky 'Walking Dead' photo
- Kurt Russell western 'Bone Tomahawk' chosen as Fantastic Fest closing night film
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!