Emotionally mesmerizing. Set in the multiethnic city of Jaffa, this Academy Award nominee for Best ? Foreign Language Film is like an Israeli Amores Perros crossed with City of God. Using a nonprofessional cast, Ajami looks at the Middle East powder keg from both sides, weaving a time-fractured story of drug dealing, romance, and economic peril. As a shockingly unjust revenge murder sets off a cycle of fear, we feel how the violence of life in Israel has embedded itself in every interaction, even for those on the same side. A
READY, AIM, QUAGMIRE Fouad Habash prepares to shoot in Ajami
Genre: Foreign Language, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Shahir Kabaha, Eran Naim; Director: Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani; Author: Scandar Copti, Yaron Shani; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Kino International
Posted February 18 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!