Like many of the author’s other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family. Emma, a single mother, copes just fine with her teenage sons — until the day Jacob is arrested for the murder of his tutor. Jacob has Asperger’s, and the cops confuse his symptoms — such as avoiding eye contact — with guilt. Jodi Picoult loses points for ruining what could have been a riveting mystery by establishing Jacob’s innocence at the outset. (The real story behind the tutor’s death is obvious to the careful reader.) The author has delivered a sweet family drama that doubles as a handbook on Asperger’s — not exactly a thrill, but hardly a bad thing. B
House RulesLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....House RulesFictionJodi PicoultLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....2010-02-24Atria
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jodi Picoult; Publisher: Atria
Posted February 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kendrick Lamar releases trippy 'For Free? (Interlude)' video
- Mick Rock on his new show: I'm the Anthony Bourdain of rock and roll
- Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo talk about their sweet cameos in the new 'Vacation'
- 'Ash vs. Evil Dead' is not a 'watered-down version' of the films
- Country singer Lynn Anderson dead at 67
- Lucy Lawless maintains no 'Xena' deal, but she'd like one
- 'The Cosby Show' producer says series is 'kind of tarnished'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!