Like many of the author’s other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family. Emma, a single mother, copes just fine with her teenage sons — until the day Jacob is arrested for the murder of his tutor. Jacob has Asperger’s, and the cops confuse his symptoms — such as avoiding eye contact — with guilt. Jodi Picoult loses points for ruining what could have been a riveting mystery by establishing Jacob’s innocence at the outset. (The real story behind the tutor’s death is obvious to the careful reader.) The author has delivered a sweet family drama that doubles as a handbook on Asperger’s — not exactly a thrill, but hardly a bad thing. B
House RulesLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....House RulesFictionJodi PicoultLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....2010-02-24Atria
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jodi Picoult; Publisher: Atria
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Survivor' exclusive sneak peek: Watch the 'Worlds Apart' merge
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!