Like many of the author’s other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family. Emma, a single mother, copes just fine with her teenage sons — until the day Jacob is arrested for the murder of his tutor. Jacob has Asperger’s, and the cops confuse his symptoms — such as avoiding eye contact — with guilt. Jodi Picoult loses points for ruining what could have been a riveting mystery by establishing Jacob’s innocence at the outset. (The real story behind the tutor’s death is obvious to the careful reader.) The author has delivered a sweet family drama that doubles as a handbook on Asperger’s — not exactly a thrill, but hardly a bad thing. B
House RulesLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....House RulesFictionJodi PicoultLike many of the author's other books, House Rules involves a child, a disease, and a legal issue that threatens the fabric of a family....2010-02-24Atria
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jodi Picoult; Publisher: Atria
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!