This 20-year-old Miami native hit No. 1 last year with ”Whatcha Say,” a tasty club-pop confection built atop a sizable chunk of Imogen Heap’s 2005 hit ”Hide and Seek.” On Jason Derulo, though, Derulo has trouble making an impression. Sure, his precision-geared vocals are ?teen-dreamy enough, but tracks like the robo-folky ”Encore” and the dreary piano ballad ”What If”’ sound pilfered from Ne-Yo’s discard pile. One exception: ”The Sky’s the Limit,” which liberally samples the theme from Flashdance. C+
RIDIN' SOLO Jason Derulo (Smallz & Raskind)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jason Derulo; Status: In Season
Posted February 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters