This 20-year-old Miami native hit No. 1 last year with ”Whatcha Say,” a tasty club-pop confection built atop a sizable chunk of Imogen Heap’s 2005 hit ”Hide and Seek.” On Jason Derulo, though, Derulo has trouble making an impression. Sure, his precision-geared vocals are ?teen-dreamy enough, but tracks like the robo-folky ”Encore” and the dreary piano ballad ”What If”’ sound pilfered from Ne-Yo’s discard pile. One exception: ”The Sky’s the Limit,” which liberally samples the theme from Flashdance. C+
Jason DeruloThis 20-year-old Miami native hit No. 1 last year with ''Whatcha Say,'' a tasty club-pop confection built atop a sizable chunk of Imogen Heap's 2005 hit '...Jason DeruloPopThis 20-year-old Miami native hit No. 1 last year with ''Whatcha Say,'' a tasty club-pop confection built atop a sizable chunk of Imogen Heap's 2005 hit '...2010-02-24
RIDIN' SOLO Jason Derulo (Smallz & Raskind)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jason Derulo
Posted February 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- EW picks: What to binge-watch over Memorial Day weekend
- Ed Sheeran sang 'Rainbow Connection' with Kermit the Frog and had the time of his life
- Watch Coldplay's hilarious 'Game of Thrones' musical
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (Spoiler) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!