This collection of David Grann’s nonfiction, much of it from The New Yorker, is by turns horrifying, hilarious, and outlandish. There’s the Holmesian case of a garroted Arthur Conan Doyle expert; a Frenchman in his 20s who cons an American family into thinking he is their missing teenage son; a 9/11 firefighter who cannot recall the attacks. In The Devil and Sherlock Holmes, these straightforward tales grip you as unrelentingly as the suckered appendages of the giant squid Grann attempts to track down in ”The Squid Hunter.” You might feel that some of the pieces skirt credibility, but remember, as Holmes himself once said, ”Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.” A
The Devil and Sherlock HolmesThis collection of David Grann's nonfiction, much of it from The New Yorker, is by turns horrifying, hilarious, and outlandish. There's the...The Devil and Sherlock HolmesNonfiction, EssaysDavid GrannThis collection of David Grann's nonfiction, much of it from The New Yorker, is by turns horrifying, hilarious, and outlandish. There's the...2010-03-10Doubleday
The Devil and Sherlock Holmes by David Grann
Genre: Nonfiction, Essays; Author: David Grann; Publisher: Doubleday
Posted March 10 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...