Lucia (Ugly Betty’s America Ferrera) is Mexican-American. Her fiancé, Marcus (House of Payne’s Lance Gross), is African-American. And Our Family Wedding is Hollywood-ethno-American. Which means that if you sign on for this broad, bawdy comedy of matrimony, set in a magical Los Angeles of much sunshine and little traffic, be prepared to swallow a lot of empty-calorie jokes in which blacks and Latinos insult and misunderstand one another in a spirit of vigorous buffoonery before dancing together in maniacal harmony during the never-in-doubt wedding-scene finale. Chief among the maniacs are comedian Carlos Mencia as Lucia’s papa (a traditionalist family guy) and Forest Whitaker as Marcus’ old man (a divorced, swinging radio DJ). As if to reassure Mencia that he wouldn’t be stuck playing the craziest role in the bunch, well-loved character mujer Lupe Ontiveros (who costarred with Ferrera in her breakthrough Real Women Have Curves) shows up as Lucia’s opinionated grandmother. When Granny first meets Marcus, she falls into a racially induced dead faint. At least she doesn’t groan ”Ay caramba!” as she swoons. C-
BRIDE AND GROOM Lance Gross and America Ferrera share a smile in Our Family Wedding (Scott Garfield)
Posted March 10 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!