Lucia (Ugly Betty’s America Ferrera) is Mexican-American. Her fiancé, Marcus (House of Payne’s Lance Gross), is African-American. And Our Family Wedding is Hollywood-ethno-American. Which means that if you sign on for this broad, bawdy comedy of matrimony, set in a magical Los Angeles of much sunshine and little traffic, be prepared to swallow a lot of empty-calorie jokes in which blacks and Latinos insult and misunderstand one another in a spirit of vigorous buffoonery before dancing together in maniacal harmony during the never-in-doubt wedding-scene finale. Chief among the maniacs are comedian Carlos Mencia as Lucia’s papa (a traditionalist family guy) and Forest Whitaker as Marcus’ old man (a divorced, swinging radio DJ). As if to reassure Mencia that he wouldn’t be stuck playing the craziest role in the bunch, well-loved character mujer Lupe Ontiveros (who costarred with Ferrera in her breakthrough Real Women Have Curves) shows up as Lucia’s opinionated grandmother. When Granny first meets Marcus, she falls into a racially induced dead faint. At least she doesn’t groan ”Ay caramba!” as she swoons. C-
BRIDE AND GROOM Lance Gross and America Ferrera share a smile in Our Family Wedding (Scott Garfield)
Posted March 10 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!