Lucia (Ugly Betty’s America Ferrera) is Mexican-American. Her fiancé, Marcus (House of Payne’s Lance Gross), is African-American. And Our Family Wedding is Hollywood-ethno-American. Which means that if you sign on for this broad, bawdy comedy of matrimony, set in a magical Los Angeles of much sunshine and little traffic, be prepared to swallow a lot of empty-calorie jokes in which blacks and Latinos insult and misunderstand one another in a spirit of vigorous buffoonery before dancing together in maniacal harmony during the never-in-doubt wedding-scene finale. Chief among the maniacs are comedian Carlos Mencia as Lucia’s papa (a traditionalist family guy) and Forest Whitaker as Marcus’ old man (a divorced, swinging radio DJ). As if to reassure Mencia that he wouldn’t be stuck playing the craziest role in the bunch, well-loved character mujer Lupe Ontiveros (who costarred with Ferrera in her breakthrough Real Women Have Curves) shows up as Lucia’s opinionated grandmother. When Granny first meets Marcus, she falls into a racially induced dead faint. At least she doesn’t groan ”Ay caramba!” as she swoons. C-
BRIDE AND GROOM Lance Gross and America Ferrera share a smile in Our Family Wedding (Scott Garfield)
Posted March 10 2010 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can’t Buy Me Love actress Amanda Peterson remembered by her mother
- Robert De Niro's 'The Comedian' finds a new director
- Who should play the young Han Solo in the 'Star Wars' spinoff? Vote now!
- Elodie Yung cast as Elektra in 'Daredevil' season 2
- Two more networks pull Bill Cosby reruns
- Subway drops Jared Fogle amid FBI investigation
- Grateful Dead's farewell shows earned estimated $55 million
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!