In a post on his official website, actor Ian McKellen confirmed that the long-gestating Hobbit project will begin shooting this July in New Zealand, with two films planned. “Filming will take over a year,” says the announcement, which confirms that McKellen will reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf. “Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons’ and the studio in Miramar.”
Posted March 18 2010 — 9:05 AM EDT
- New 'Bourne' film recruits Tommy Lee Jones
- Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren tangle in new photo from 'Trumbo'
- Meet the four real-life Jerry Maguires on 'The Agent' — EXCLUSIVE
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!