In a post on his official website, actor Ian McKellen confirmed that the long-gestating Hobbit project will begin shooting this July in New Zealand, with two films planned. “Filming will take over a year,” says the announcement, which confirms that McKellen will reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf. “Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons’ and the studio in Miramar.”
Posted March 18 2010 — 9:05 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!