In a post on his official website, actor Ian McKellen confirmed that the long-gestating Hobbit project will begin shooting this July in New Zealand, with two films planned. “Filming will take over a year,” says the announcement, which confirms that McKellen will reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf. “Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons’ and the studio in Miramar.”
Posted March 18 2010 — 9:05 AM EDT
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!