In a post on his official website, actor Ian McKellen confirmed that the long-gestating Hobbit project will begin shooting this July in New Zealand, with two films planned. “Filming will take over a year,” says the announcement, which confirms that McKellen will reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf. “Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons’ and the studio in Miramar.”
Posted March 18 2010 — 9:05 AM EDT
- 'Harry Potter & the Cursed Child' script due out this summer
- Grammys 2016: Secret Ballot
- 'The Walking Dead' returns with 6 exclusive EW collector's covers
- See 'Walking Dead' actor Josh McDermitt in the first trailer for 'Life in Color'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See 'Frozen' fan-favorite Olaf on 'Sofia the FIrst'
- Telltale Games' 'The Walking Dead: Michonne' sets release date
- Amazon orders four seasons of 'Thunderbirds Are Go' with Rosamund Pike