Another must-see marvel of horror, comedy, and impeccable filmmaking by the Korean director Bong Joon-ho (The Host), Mother features a dementedly devoted mom (Kim Hye-ja) who will stop at nothing — nothing — to clear murder charges against her mentally challenged adult son (Won Bin) in the gruesome death of a schoolgirl. Some background for relishing Kim’s tour de force turn as a monster of maternal love: The star is beloved at home for her portrayals of warm, kind mamas — a Korean Donna Reed. A
HI, MOM! Kim Hye-ja plays a loving Mother (Courtesy of Magnolia Pictures)
Starring: Won Bin, Hye-ja Kim; Director: Joon-ho Bong; Author: Joon-ho Bong; Runtime (in minutes): 129; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 19 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...