Another must-see marvel of horror, comedy, and impeccable filmmaking by the Korean director Bong Joon-ho (The Host), Mother features a dementedly devoted mom (Kim Hye-ja) who will stop at nothing — nothing — to clear murder charges against her mentally challenged adult son (Won Bin) in the gruesome death of a schoolgirl. Some background for relishing Kim’s tour de force turn as a monster of maternal love: The star is beloved at home for her portrayals of warm, kind mamas — a Korean Donna Reed. A
HI, MOM! Kim Hye-ja plays a loving Mother (Courtesy of Magnolia Pictures)
Starring: Won Bin, Hye-ja Kim; Director: Joon-ho Bong; Author: Joon-ho Bong; Runtime (in minutes): 129; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 19 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A look back at the time 'Silence of the Lambs' won big at the Oscars
- Happy Valentine's Day! Read highlights from Aziz Ansari's 'Modern Romance'
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner previews introduction of the Hilltop
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll