In the seemingly endless run-up to this year’s Academy Awards, the narrative swirling around Sandra Bullock was that, after two decades in the business, she finally dared to stretch beyond her comedic comfort zone and would be rewarded for it. The argument never really made sense. After all, The Blind Side wasn’t Bullock’s first flirtation with dramatic, capital-A acting. Sure, she may have become a star — the original girl-next-door heir to Julia Roberts — cracking wise in 1994’s Speed, but she also dug deep in 2000’s underrated rehab drama 28 Days, 2005’s Oscar winner Crash, and 2006’s Truman Capote biopic Infamous. And though playing it straight has occasionally backfired (2006’s schmaltzy reunion with Keanu Reeves, The Lake House, comes to mind), you could argue that had more to do with her choices than her talent. Either way, in The Blind Side, both finally come together in a performance that, well, blindsides you. As Leigh Anne Tuohy, the brassy, down-home Memphis mom who takes in an African-American kid (Quinton Aaron) and brings out the gentle soul buried beneath years of pain and neglect, Bullock is more winning and alive than she’s ever been. Even during the film’s more manipulative moments, she’s never less than perfect. As for EXTRAS, there are four deleted scenes that could have easily made the final cut. B+
THE BLIND SIDE Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw watch from the sidelines (except when it comes to underprivileged youth). (Ralph Nelson)
Genre: Sports, Drama; Starring: Quinton Aaron, Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Kathy Bates; Director: John Lee Hancock; Author: John Lee Hancock; Release Date Wide: 11/20/2009; Runtime (in minutes): 125; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Judge Judy drama series in the works at CBS
- What if Zack Snyder directed classic literature adaptations?
- Jim Gaffigan, Olivia Thirlby join political thriller 'Chappaquiddick'
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall