As Vince Rizzo, a downtrodden prison guard who is a lifelong resident of City Island, N.Y. (a fishing village on the outskirts of the Bronx), Andy Garcia reminds you of what a cunning, likable actor he can be. In City Island, Vince lives in fear of his shrewish wife (Julianna Margulies) and takes acting classes on the sly — a twist that turns fun when he shows real talent. What isn’t fun is the quirky parade of family contrivances (teen son with a fatty fetish! daughter who’s a secret stripper! prisoner who turns out to be his illegitimate kid!) that fill out the movie. C+
DOMESTIC BLISS? Julianna Margulies and Andy Garcia reflect on the struggles of family life in City Island (Phil Caruso)
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creators on 'hero' Felix saving two different clones
- Legendary closes deal on Dwayne Johnson action project set in China
- 'Preacher' pilot: Hear the directors' commentary online
- Chance the Rapper, 2 Chainz, Lil Wayne have 'No Problem' in video
- Red Hot Chili Peppers share chill new song 'The Getaway'
- Khloé Kardashian files for divorce from Lamar Odom — again
- Justin Bieber, Skrillex facing lawsuit over 'Sorry'