As Vince Rizzo, a downtrodden prison guard who is a lifelong resident of City Island, N.Y. (a fishing village on the outskirts of the Bronx), Andy Garcia reminds you of what a cunning, likable actor he can be. In City Island, Vince lives in fear of his shrewish wife (Julianna Margulies) and takes acting classes on the sly — a twist that turns fun when he shows real talent. What isn’t fun is the quirky parade of family contrivances (teen son with a fatty fetish! daughter who’s a secret stripper! prisoner who turns out to be his illegitimate kid!) that fill out the movie. C+
DOMESTIC BLISS? Julianna Margulies and Andy Garcia reflect on the struggles of family life in City Island (Phil Caruso)
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!