As Vince Rizzo, a downtrodden prison guard who is a lifelong resident of City Island, N.Y. (a fishing village on the outskirts of the Bronx), Andy Garcia reminds you of what a cunning, likable actor he can be. In City Island, Vince lives in fear of his shrewish wife (Julianna Margulies) and takes acting classes on the sly — a twist that turns fun when he shows real talent. What isn’t fun is the quirky parade of family contrivances (teen son with a fatty fetish! daughter who’s a secret stripper! prisoner who turns out to be his illegitimate kid!) that fill out the movie. C+
DOMESTIC BLISS? Julianna Margulies and Andy Garcia reflect on the struggles of family life in City Island (Phil Caruso)
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!