As Vince Rizzo, a downtrodden prison guard who is a lifelong resident of City Island, N.Y. (a fishing village on the outskirts of the Bronx), Andy Garcia reminds you of what a cunning, likable actor he can be. In City Island, Vince lives in fear of his shrewish wife (Julianna Margulies) and takes acting classes on the sly — a twist that turns fun when he shows real talent. What isn’t fun is the quirky parade of family contrivances (teen son with a fatty fetish! daughter who’s a secret stripper! prisoner who turns out to be his illegitimate kid!) that fill out the movie. C+
DOMESTIC BLISS? Julianna Margulies and Andy Garcia reflect on the struggles of family life in City Island (Phil Caruso)
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt