As Vince Rizzo, a downtrodden prison guard who is a lifelong resident of City Island, N.Y. (a fishing village on the outskirts of the Bronx), Andy Garcia reminds you of what a cunning, likable actor he can be. In City Island, Vince lives in fear of his shrewish wife (Julianna Margulies) and takes acting classes on the sly — a twist that turns fun when he shows real talent. What isn’t fun is the quirky parade of family contrivances (teen son with a fatty fetish! daughter who’s a secret stripper! prisoner who turns out to be his illegitimate kid!) that fill out the movie. C+
DOMESTIC BLISS? Julianna Margulies and Andy Garcia reflect on the struggles of family life in City Island (Phil Caruso)
Posted March 24 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!