This morning Little, Brown announced a first printing of Meyer’s novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. Bree figures prominently in the movie version of Eclipse, opening June 30 (and director David Slade was able to read an early copy of the novella). But as fans remember, she does not appear in the book until page 569, in a pivotal scene where Bella and the Cullens encounter some of Victoria’s wild vampires in the forest: “The girl was curled into a small ball beside the flames, her arms wrapped around her legs….Her eyes were focused on me, and the eyes were a shocking, brilliant red.” Of Meyer’s decision to donate money from the sale of each book to the Red Cross, Little, Brown deputy publisher Andrew Smith says, ”The plight of folks in Haiti and now Chile has been so much in the media, and very much on Stephenie’s radar,” pointing out that Meyer has been talking about the subject on her website for some time. (On January 27, she wrote, “I’ve been very impressed with the world in general and the Twilight fansite in specific in the support and love everyone is giving to Haiti.”) The website dedicated to the new book, breetanner.com – which will feature the book beginning June 7 – will provide a Red Cross link tied specifically to the novella. “We’ll be able to track how much Twilight fans are giving,” Smith says.
Posted March 30 2010 — 1:25 PM EDT
- See the first preview of Valiant Entertainment's 'Death-Defying Dr. Mirage: Second Lives'
- Do you speak fluent Gilmore? Who said it: Rory or Lorelai?
- Bernie Sanders to appear on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'
- 'Quantico' holds up but it was a tough night for 'The Good Wife'
- See the extremely NSFW red-band trailer for 'Triple 9'
- John Mayer praises Miley Cyrus new album as 'whack genius'
- Amy Schumer & Jennifer Lawrence have another new project