Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Clarkson and Jimmy Fallon have a duet marathon on The Tonight Show
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame
- From People: Texas man commemorates DressGate with tattoo of 'The Dress'
- Terrence Howard explains his odd moment onstage at the Oscars
- 'Power/Rangers' short film creator releases bootleg James Bond film
- Katy Perry selling Left Shark onesies
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'