Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars' and his journey to it
- 'Furious 7': Fourth weekend at No. 1