Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!