Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bernie Sanders transforms into a perfect George in 'Seinfeld'
- Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin get smitten in 'Me Before You' trailer
- 'Nice Guys' Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe go retro in '70s-style trailer
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo
- Police looking at possible drug OD in Prince's death, report says
- Penelope Cruz to star in reinvention drama 'Layover'