Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel
- 'Empire': Listen to 'Infamous' by Mariah Carey, Jussie Smollett & cast
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation
- 'Blindspot': Can Jane trust Roman?