Catherine Breillat, the French director of Fat Girl, blends victim feminism with the threat of slasher violence in this arid ”deconstruction” of Bluebeard, the wife killer of legend. When her father dies, Marie-Catherine (Lola Creton), a wily waif, marries an aristocrat (Dominique Thomas) with a sinister history. He’s paternally gentle with her, but that’s just a ruse in a movie that has all the when-will-he-draw-the-scimitar suspense of Friday the 13th as made by Robert Bresson. In other words, none at all. Breillat is gifted, but there’s no mystery in her stacked decks. C
FAR FROM LEGENDARYFrench director Catherine Breillat has talent, but fails to deliver her best work with Bluebeard, starring Dominique Thomas and Lola Creton. (Maud Taylor)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Dominique Thomas, Lola Creton; Director: Catherine Breillat; Author: Catherine Breillat; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 80
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: 'Train to Busan' zombie film clip has blood on the tracks
- Barbra Streisand and Hugh Jackman team up for dreamy duet
- Elon Musk endorsement spikes sales for out-of-print 1929 history book
- 'RHONJ': Melissa Gorga tells husband Joe to 'man up'
- Logan Lerman: 'It's my job as an actor to battle your apathy'
- WATCH: Matt Damon on why 'Jason Bourne' took so long
- My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' reissue gets release date