A smart, scary, spine-tinglingly matter-of-fact ghost story. In the Irish village of Cobh, Michael (Ciarén Hinds), a lonely widowed father, volunteers his services at the local literary festival. There, he plays on-call driver to two visiting writers: a drunken, egomaniacal celebrity novelist (Aidan Quinn) and a gentle, comely author of paranormal fiction (Iben Hjejle). There’s a love triangle, as well as a ghost that will make you jump (seriously). But what holds The Eclipse together is Hinds’ sorrowful and moving performance as a man haunted in more ways than one. B+
THRILLER Aidan Quinn and Iben Hjejle play authors in this smart, scary, spine-tinglingly matter-of-fact ghost story.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ciaran Hinds, Aidan Quinn; Director: Conor McPherson; Author: Conor McPherson; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!