The title of Marco Bellocchio’s riveting historical drama means ”win.” And in Vincere, the victory belongs to Ida Dalser, the used-and- discarded ”secret” wife of Benito Mussolini. Dalser bore the Italian fascist dictator a son and was locked in an insane asylum for demanding recognition of paternity. Mezzogiorno (Love in the Time of Cholera) plays Dalser with the kind of fervent intensity once seen in silent films — a style that blends beautifully with the look of old newsreel footage used by the director to convey the theatrical tendencies of the late despot. (Available on cable via on demand) A?
WIN Marco Bellocchio's Vincere , starring Filippo Timi and Giovanna Mezzogiorno, excels in style and story. (Daniele Musso)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Filippo Timi; Director: Marco Bellocchio; Author: Marco Bellocchio; Release Date Limited: 03/19/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 128
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- J.K. Rowling meets 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' cast in photo
- 'Fast and Furious 8': Dwayne Johnson dives for cover in new set video
- Kanye West on Apple's talks with Tidal: 'Let the kids have the music'
- 'A Chorus Line' kicks up the classics at the Hollywood Bowl
- Sarah Jessica Parker: New HBO show isn't 'Sex and the City’
- 'The Larry Sanders Show' reruns returning to HBO this fall
- 'Stranger Things' cast and fans scared with even 'Stranger' prank