The title of Marco Bellocchio’s riveting historical drama means ”win.” And in Vincere, the victory belongs to Ida Dalser, the used-and- discarded ”secret” wife of Benito Mussolini. Dalser bore the Italian fascist dictator a son and was locked in an insane asylum for demanding recognition of paternity. Mezzogiorno (Love in the Time of Cholera) plays Dalser with the kind of fervent intensity once seen in silent films — a style that blends beautifully with the look of old newsreel footage used by the director to convey the theatrical tendencies of the late despot. (Available on cable via on demand) A?
WIN Marco Bellocchio's Vincere , starring Filippo Timi and Giovanna Mezzogiorno, excels in style and story. (Daniele Musso)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Filippo Timi; Director: Marco Bellocchio; Author: Marco Bellocchio; Runtime (in minutes): 128
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!