The title of Marco Bellocchio’s riveting historical drama means ”win.” And in Vincere, the victory belongs to Ida Dalser, the used-and- discarded ”secret” wife of Benito Mussolini. Dalser bore the Italian fascist dictator a son and was locked in an insane asylum for demanding recognition of paternity. Mezzogiorno (Love in the Time of Cholera) plays Dalser with the kind of fervent intensity once seen in silent films — a style that blends beautifully with the look of old newsreel footage used by the director to convey the theatrical tendencies of the late despot. (Available on cable via on demand) A?
WIN Marco Bellocchio's Vincere , starring Filippo Timi and Giovanna Mezzogiorno, excels in style and story. (Daniele Musso)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Filippo Timi; Director: Marco Bellocchio; Author: Marco Bellocchio; Release Date Limited: 03/19/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 128
Posted March 31 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations