Zoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They’ll take ”days off” from their relationship, during which they’ll pursue other people, free of all rancor or jealousy. Surprise — it doesn’t work! Neither does this fitfully amusing, mostly annoying rom-com. Wein directed it on a $15,000 budget, and he and his costar are appealing: He’s like a geek Bruce Springsteen, she’s a junior-brat Kristin Scott Thomas. Breaking Upwards, though, is much ado about a very rote situation, with a hammy excess of New York Jewish shtick (lead offender: Andrea Martin as Zoe’s kvetching mom). (Available on cable via on demand) C+
Breaking UpwardsZoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They'll take ''days off'' from their...Breaking UpwardsRomanceZoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They'll take ''days off'' from their...2010-04-07
NEW APPROACH Daryl Wein and Zoe Lister Jones' characters put a new spin on the term ''break up'' in Breaking Upwards.
Posted April 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!