Zoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They’ll take ”days off” from their relationship, during which they’ll pursue other people, free of all rancor or jealousy. Surprise — it doesn’t work! Neither does this fitfully amusing, mostly annoying rom-com. Wein directed it on a $15,000 budget, and he and his costar are appealing: He’s like a geek Bruce Springsteen, she’s a junior-brat Kristin Scott Thomas. Breaking Upwards, though, is much ado about a very rote situation, with a hammy excess of New York Jewish shtick (lead offender: Andrea Martin as Zoe’s kvetching mom). (Available on cable via on demand) C+
Breaking UpwardsZoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They'll take ''days off'' from their...Breaking UpwardsRomanceZoe (Zoe Lister-Jones) and Daryl (Daryl Wein) are breaking up, but they have a special, ease-the- pain strategy. They'll take ''days off'' from their...2010-04-07
NEW APPROACH Daryl Wein and Zoe Lister Jones' characters put a new spin on the term ''break up'' in Breaking Upwards.
Posted April 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!