This old-style life-lesson drama is clearly a labor of love: La Mission was written and directed by Peter Bratt; stars his brother, Law & Order alum Benjamin Bratt (who also produced); and is set in San Francisco’s Mission barrio, where the Bratts grew up. The warmth comes through, even if the storytelling is simplistic and clichéd. Bratt plays a tough, widowed, recovering-alcoholic father and man-about-the- neighborhood who has serious trouble accepting that his teenage son (Jeremy Ray Valdez) is gay. As a strong, independent black woman renting an apartment in the building, Erika Alexander provides additional feminist lessons in consciousness raising. C+
FAMILY AFFAIR LA MISSION, starring Benjamin Bratt, was written and directed by the actor's brother Peter Bratt.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Benjamin Bratt; Release Date Limited: 04/09/2010; Status: In Season
Posted April 7 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'