A bland, pious yet touching faith-based tearjerker. In Letters to God, nine-year-old Tyler (Tanner Maguire) suffers from brain cancer (he’s had 30 radiation treatments), but he’s as upbeat as Shirley Temple. He fuels his spirit by writing letters to God, which inspires an alcoholic mailman (Jeffrey Johnson) to rediscover his faith. There are so many characters basing their actions on what Jesus would do that Jesus just about deserves a co-screenwriting credit. C+
LITTLE RASCALS Bailee Madison and Tanner Maguire play best friends in Letters to God (Dale Stroud)
Starring: Robyn Lively, Tanner Maguire; Director: Patrick Doughtie, David Nixon; Author: Patrick Doughtie; Runtime (in minutes): 109; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted April 15 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- All the breakout artists Zane Lowe highlighted during his debut show on Beats 1
- James Gunn absolutely loved 'Ant-Man'
- Gay Men's Chorus of L.A. covers Britney Spears' 'Work Bitch'
- Cheryl Burke quits as Miss USA cohost
- Aquaman named 'most toxic superhero' to search for online
- Jeremy Renner on J.Lo jokes, gay rumors, and how 'Avengers' nearly killed him
- Spring King is first band played on Apple Music's Beats 1: 'We had no idea'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!