In the jungles of South America, a team of CIA black-ops agents is betrayed and left for dead. Only the five soldiers are very much alive, and they’re coming back for revenge. The Losers is a pulp action rouser based on a comic-book series, but it’s derivative of many other sources — basically, it’s The A-Team meets Rambo meets Mission: Impossible, with a mission that’s one part trickiness, four parts blowing stuff up. As Clay, the team leader, Jeffrey Dean Morgan has an amusingly rumpled, ordinary-schmo nonchalance. How tough is he? He’s so tough that when questioned, he punches out a fellow soldier played by the maximally intimidating Idris Elba (as the most insurrectionary of the team members). Jason Patric is also on hand as a supervillain out to hawk a terrorist weapon that can make a landmass implode, and Patric gives clipped, funny, furiously contained line readings; he wears bloodless misanthropy lightly (which is how it should be worn). But there isn’t enough invention or surprise to the rest of this relentless, numbing, bang-bang militia-fest, which hops from Bolivia to Dubai to Mexico to the concrete urban jungles of Miami and Los Angeles. As Clay’s love interest, Zoë Saldana, looking like a superskinny Beyoncé, is allowed to show the humor that Avatar squeezed out of her. C+
TOUGH GUY (AND GIRL) Zoë Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan play betrayed CIA black-ops agents in The Losers. (Warner Bros.)
Starring: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana; Starring: Chris Evans; Director: Sylvain White; Author: Peter Berg, James Vanderbilt; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted April 23 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 8 debut albums to get excited about this fall
- Salma Hayek was in a love triangle with two monkeys
- 11 duos who should host the 2016 Oscars
- See Bryan Cranston’s transformation into LBJ for HBO biopic
- 'The Good Wife' actor Dylan Baker tried to save his neighbor from a fire
- Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' to premiere in January: See first promo
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!