In the jungles of South America, a team of CIA black-ops agents is betrayed and left for dead. Only the five soldiers are very much alive, and they’re coming back for revenge. The Losers is a pulp action rouser based on a comic-book series, but it’s derivative of many other sources — basically, it’s The A-Team meets Rambo meets Mission: Impossible, with a mission that’s one part trickiness, four parts blowing stuff up. As Clay, the team leader, Jeffrey Dean Morgan has an amusingly rumpled, ordinary-schmo nonchalance. How tough is he? He’s so tough that when questioned, he punches out a fellow soldier played by the maximally intimidating Idris Elba (as the most insurrectionary of the team members). Jason Patric is also on hand as a supervillain out to hawk a terrorist weapon that can make a landmass implode, and Patric gives clipped, funny, furiously contained line readings; he wears bloodless misanthropy lightly (which is how it should be worn). But there isn’t enough invention or surprise to the rest of this relentless, numbing, bang-bang militia-fest, which hops from Bolivia to Dubai to Mexico to the concrete urban jungles of Miami and Los Angeles. As Clay’s love interest, Zoë Saldana, looking like a superskinny Beyoncé, is allowed to show the humor that Avatar squeezed out of her. C+
TOUGH GUY (AND GIRL) Zoë Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan play betrayed CIA black-ops agents in The Losers. (Warner Bros.)
Starring: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana; Starring: Chris Evans; Director: Sylvain White; Author: Peter Berg, James Vanderbilt; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!