In the jungles of South America, a team of CIA black-ops agents is betrayed and left for dead. Only the five soldiers are very much alive, and they’re coming back for revenge. The Losers is a pulp action rouser based on a comic-book series, but it’s derivative of many other sources — basically, it’s The A-Team meets Rambo meets Mission: Impossible, with a mission that’s one part trickiness, four parts blowing stuff up. As Clay, the team leader, Jeffrey Dean Morgan has an amusingly rumpled, ordinary-schmo nonchalance. How tough is he? He’s so tough that when questioned, he punches out a fellow soldier played by the maximally intimidating Idris Elba (as the most insurrectionary of the team members). Jason Patric is also on hand as a supervillain out to hawk a terrorist weapon that can make a landmass implode, and Patric gives clipped, funny, furiously contained line readings; he wears bloodless misanthropy lightly (which is how it should be worn). But there isn’t enough invention or surprise to the rest of this relentless, numbing, bang-bang militia-fest, which hops from Bolivia to Dubai to Mexico to the concrete urban jungles of Miami and Los Angeles. As Clay’s love interest, Zoë Saldana, looking like a superskinny Beyoncé, is allowed to show the humor that Avatar squeezed out of her. C+
TOUGH GUY (AND GIRL) Zoë Saldana and Jeffrey Dean Morgan play betrayed CIA black-ops agents in The Losers. (Warner Bros.)
Starring: Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana; Starring: Chris Evans; Director: Sylvain White; Author: Peter Berg, James Vanderbilt; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!