Isabel Allende’s latest, Island Beneath the Sea — set mainly in 18th-century Saint-Domingue, the Caribbean colony stained by colonial oppression — features an extensive cast of characters, ranging from plantation nobility to their abused chattels? to the sexual demimonde of the cities. The era comes vibrantly alive through the indelible voice of Zarité, a slave who escapes the bloody Haitian Revolution with her master and later manages to win freedom in New Orleans. While the colorful period details Allende heaps on sometimes feel more perfunctory and less lived-through than those in her Chile-set novels, she’s largely successful in removing the gunk clogging the veins of history and pumping in fresh blood. B+
Island Beneath the Sea Isabel Allende's latest, Island Beneath the Sea — set mainly in 18th-century Saint-Domingue, the Caribbean colony stained by...Island Beneath the SeaFictionIsabel Allende Isabel Allende's latest, Island Beneath the Sea — set mainly in 18th-century Saint-Domingue, the Caribbean colony stained by...2010-04-28HarperEntertainment
Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende
Genre: Fiction; Author: Isabel Allende; Publisher: HarperEntertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Audi commercial features new 'Avengers: Age of Ultron,' 'Ant-Man' footage
- See the cover of James Dashner's 'The Game of Lives'
- Nick Jonas goes to raves, drives psychedelic golf cart in new 'Chains' video
- Killer Croc and the end of the Christopher Nolan era
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!