”I love people! I’m a people person!” are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes’ latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the slow-moving schlub isn’t swearing at pedestrians or scaring old ladies at the post office, he’s turning his anger in on himself. But then his father’s illness sparks a hometown visit that reunites Wilson with his ex-wife and teenage daughter…and that’s where the trouble really starts. In Wilson, Clowes’ characters mostly stick to two modes: despair and bitter laughter. The result is exhausting. But it’s almost as though Clowes gave himself a challenge — how relentlessly bleak can a comic be and still snatch hope from the jaws of cynicism? In the final, quiet panels, he answers. B
Wilson ''I love people! I'm a people person!'' are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes' latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the...WilsonComic Books/Graphic NovelsDaniel Clowes ''I love people! I'm a people person!'' are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes' latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the...2010-04-28
Wilson by Daniel Clowes
Genre: Comic Books/Graphic Novels; Author: Daniel Clowes
Posted April 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!