”I love people! I’m a people person!” are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes’ latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the slow-moving schlub isn’t swearing at pedestrians or scaring old ladies at the post office, he’s turning his anger in on himself. But then his father’s illness sparks a hometown visit that reunites Wilson with his ex-wife and teenage daughter…and that’s where the trouble really starts. In Wilson, Clowes’ characters mostly stick to two modes: despair and bitter laughter. The result is exhausting. But it’s almost as though Clowes gave himself a challenge — how relentlessly bleak can a comic be and still snatch hope from the jaws of cynicism? In the final, quiet panels, he answers. B
Wilson ''I love people! I'm a people person!'' are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes' latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the...WilsonComic Books/Graphic NovelsDaniel Clowes ''I love people! I'm a people person!'' are the opening words from Wilson, the malcontent in Clowes' latest portrait of seething misanthropy. When the...2010-04-28
Wilson by Daniel Clowes
Genre: Comic Books/Graphic Novels; Author: Daniel Clowes
Posted April 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Margot Robbie celebrates birthday with Harley Quinn cake on 'Suicide Squad' set
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!