Part punk-drab British art-house portrait of underclass despair, part bloody vigilante pic, Harry Brown is shakily held together by industrial-strength sound design and the expertly employed theatrics of Michael Caine in the title role. In the beginning, Brown is a lonely widower shuffling about in his dismal housing project; by the end, he’s an energized gent who fights crime using brutal skills mastered as a soldier in Northern Ireland. Emily Mortimer winces throughout as the most depressed cop in all of England. C+
RETIREE WITH A HANDGUN Michael Caine is mad as hell in Harry Brown
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Charlie Creed-Miles; Director: Daniel Barber; Author: Gary Young; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted April 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ariana Grande drops hot new song 'Into You'
- Seratones talk scuzzy debut: 'We have attitude problems'
- 'Xena: Warrior Princess': Why Xena and Gabrielle never got together
- RHCP, Alicia Keys: Grading the week's best (and worst) new singles
- Sharon Stone and James Corden make a rap video to help her find a date
- Kristen Bell opens up about dealing with depression and anxiety
- Selena Gomez’s 'Revival' tour: Why you won’t see her squad onstage