Part punk-drab British art-house portrait of underclass despair, part bloody vigilante pic, Harry Brown is shakily held together by industrial-strength sound design and the expertly employed theatrics of Michael Caine in the title role. In the beginning, Brown is a lonely widower shuffling about in his dismal housing project; by the end, he’s an energized gent who fights crime using brutal skills mastered as a soldier in Northern Ireland. Emily Mortimer winces throughout as the most depressed cop in all of England. C+
RETIREE WITH A HANDGUN Michael Caine is mad as hell in Harry Brown
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Charlie Creed-Miles; Director: Daniel Barber; Author: Gary Young; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted April 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt