Part punk-drab British art-house portrait of underclass despair, part bloody vigilante pic, Harry Brown is shakily held together by industrial-strength sound design and the expertly employed theatrics of Michael Caine in the title role. In the beginning, Brown is a lonely widower shuffling about in his dismal housing project; by the end, he’s an energized gent who fights crime using brutal skills mastered as a soldier in Northern Ireland. Emily Mortimer winces throughout as the most depressed cop in all of England. C+
RETIREE WITH A HANDGUN Michael Caine is mad as hell in Harry Brown
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Charlie Creed-Miles; Director: Daniel Barber; Author: Gary Young; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted April 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Good news, Leslie Knope: Hillary Clinton is a fan of 'Parks and Rec'
- See a supercut of shrieks from Wes Craven's filmography
- See Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore in 'Miss You Already' trailer
- Zachary Levi will replace Josh Radnor on Broadway
- 'Madam Secretary': Eric Stoltz to play Téa Leoni's brother
- Shondaland stars throw wine at each other in new TGIT promos
- See Chloe Moretz in the first trailer for 'The 5th Wave'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!