Part punk-drab British art-house portrait of underclass despair, part bloody vigilante pic, Harry Brown is shakily held together by industrial-strength sound design and the expertly employed theatrics of Michael Caine in the title role. In the beginning, Brown is a lonely widower shuffling about in his dismal housing project; by the end, he’s an energized gent who fights crime using brutal skills mastered as a soldier in Northern Ireland. Emily Mortimer winces throughout as the most depressed cop in all of England. C+
RETIREE WITH A HANDGUN Michael Caine is mad as hell in Harry Brown
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Charlie Creed-Miles; Director: Daniel Barber; Author: Gary Young; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!