Part punk-drab British art-house portrait of underclass despair, part bloody vigilante pic, Harry Brown is shakily held together by industrial-strength sound design and the expertly employed theatrics of Michael Caine in the title role. In the beginning, Brown is a lonely widower shuffling about in his dismal housing project; by the end, he’s an energized gent who fights crime using brutal skills mastered as a soldier in Northern Ireland. Emily Mortimer winces throughout as the most depressed cop in all of England. C+
RETIREE WITH A HANDGUN Michael Caine is mad as hell in Harry Brown
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Charlie Creed-Miles; Director: Daniel Barber; Author: Gary Young; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted April 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?