In The Good Heart, Brian Cox plays a cantankerous cusser who owns a downtown NYC dive bar and a bad ticker. Paul Dano is the suicidal homeless waif-hipster he takes on as a protégé and business heir. The Big Apple of this evanescent tone poem is an invented nocturnal landscape featuring speechifying eccentrics and absurdist moments that feel northern European in sensibility. That may be because Iceland-bred writer-director Dagur Kári shot most of the picture in his homeland, loading a lot of distinctly Nordic seriocomic melancholy onto a study of two characters in a city that never sleeps. B-
WATCH AND LEARN Paul Dano hangs out with Brian Cox in The Good Heart
Genre: Drama; Starring: Brian Cox, Paul Dano; Director: Dagur Kari; Author: Dagur Kari; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 5 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters