In The Good Heart, Brian Cox plays a cantankerous cusser who owns a downtown NYC dive bar and a bad ticker. Paul Dano is the suicidal homeless waif-hipster he takes on as a protégé and business heir. The Big Apple of this evanescent tone poem is an invented nocturnal landscape featuring speechifying eccentrics and absurdist moments that feel northern European in sensibility. That may be because Iceland-bred writer-director Dagur Kári shot most of the picture in his homeland, loading a lot of distinctly Nordic seriocomic melancholy onto a study of two characters in a city that never sleeps. B-
WATCH AND LEARN Paul Dano hangs out with Brian Cox in The Good Heart
Genre: Drama; Starring: Brian Cox, Paul Dano; Director: Dagur Kari; Author: Dagur Kari; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 5 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'