In The Good Heart, Brian Cox plays a cantankerous cusser who owns a downtown NYC dive bar and a bad ticker. Paul Dano is the suicidal homeless waif-hipster he takes on as a protégé and business heir. The Big Apple of this evanescent tone poem is an invented nocturnal landscape featuring speechifying eccentrics and absurdist moments that feel northern European in sensibility. That may be because Iceland-bred writer-director Dagur Kári shot most of the picture in his homeland, loading a lot of distinctly Nordic seriocomic melancholy onto a study of two characters in a city that never sleeps. B-
WATCH AND LEARN Paul Dano hangs out with Brian Cox in The Good Heart
Genre: Drama; Starring: Brian Cox, Paul Dano; Director: Dagur Kari; Author: Dagur Kari; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 5 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Keith Richards talks solo album, documentary, and trying to get the Stones back in the studio
- 'Saturday Night Live' adds Jon Rudnitsky as cast member
- Rooney Mara helps Rio kids in new 'Trash' trailer
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- 'Faking It' boss previews season 2B: New faces, dynamics, and that upcoming Karmy kiss
- Andy Grammer joins 'Dancing With the Stars'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!