Veteran character actress Octavia Spencer has signed on to play Minny Jackson in the film adaptation of Kathryn Stockett’s best-selling novel The Help. The actress, who can next be seen in Dinner for Schmucks starring Paul Rudd and Steve Carell, has known Stockett for close to a decade and actually served as the inspiration for the outspoken character. (Stockett was researching the book when she first met Spencer through their mutual friend Tate Taylor, who is the writer and director of the film.) Spencer will join Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone in the Dreamworks’ production which is set to begin filming this July in Mississippi.
Posted May 17 2010 — 8:18 PM EDT
- Misha Collins thinks Donald Trump would make a great cat circus tour assistant
- 5 steps for celebrating Beyonce's birthday
- Talking 'Star Wars' toys: Hear Finn, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma speak
- Viola Davis on the time she kissed a casting director
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Peih-Gee Law on the advice Amanda Kimmel gave her
- Marvel reveals Amadeus Cho as 'Totally Awesome Hulk'
- This is what it was like when Andrew Garfield worked at Starbucks
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!