This culture-clash drama about young ? ultra-Orthodox Jewish men from Brooklyn who run an international Ecstasy-smuggling operation is based on a real narcotics case from the late 1990s. Yet Holy Rollers feels staged and exoticized in the way stories about insular communities often do when told by outsiders. Justin Bartha plays Yosef, the bad boy who beckons his impressionable, more pious next-door neighbor Sam (Jesse Eisenberg) to stray from the path of righteousness. But Sam’s reasons for following are as vague as the vignettes of religious family life are overplayed. C
THE ENVELOPE, PLEASE Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Bartha, and Jason Fuchs in Holy Rollers
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Justin Bartha, Jesse Eisenberg; Release Date Wide: 05/21/2010; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted May 26 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!