This culture-clash drama about young ? ultra-Orthodox Jewish men from Brooklyn who run an international Ecstasy-smuggling operation is based on a real narcotics case from the late 1990s. Yet Holy Rollers feels staged and exoticized in the way stories about insular communities often do when told by outsiders. Justin Bartha plays Yosef, the bad boy who beckons his impressionable, more pious next-door neighbor Sam (Jesse Eisenberg) to stray from the path of righteousness. But Sam’s reasons for following are as vague as the vignettes of religious family life are overplayed. C
THE ENVELOPE, PLEASE Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Bartha, and Jason Fuchs in Holy Rollers
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Justin Bartha, Jesse Eisenberg; Release Date Wide: 05/21/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted May 26 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade