This culture-clash drama about young ? ultra-Orthodox Jewish men from Brooklyn who run an international Ecstasy-smuggling operation is based on a real narcotics case from the late 1990s. Yet Holy Rollers feels staged and exoticized in the way stories about insular communities often do when told by outsiders. Justin Bartha plays Yosef, the bad boy who beckons his impressionable, more pious next-door neighbor Sam (Jesse Eisenberg) to stray from the path of righteousness. But Sam’s reasons for following are as vague as the vignettes of religious family life are overplayed. C
THE ENVELOPE, PLEASE Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Bartha, and Jason Fuchs in Holy Rollers
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Justin Bartha, Jesse Eisenberg; Release Date Wide: 05/21/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 89; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted May 26 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What to Watch Tuesday: Person of Interest kicks off its final season
- Radio stations to honor Prince with 'Nothing Compares 2 U'
- Patton Oswalt remembers wife Michelle McNamara in 'Time' tribute
- Rosie Perez, Ron Livingston, Parker Posey join TBS' 'Search Party'
- 'Catfish' host Nev Schulman honors subject who died
- 'Captain America' movie marathon announced by Marvel
- Emilia Clarke and Jack Huston to star in 'Above Suspicion'
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast