Kites has one dance number staged in the chop-chop style of a bad ’80s music video, but the latest Bollywood import isn’t a musical. It’s a romantic noir chase thriller made in the violently schlocky spirit of Sam Peckinpah’s The Getaway. Jay Ray (Hrithik Roshan), a Vegas hustler who looks like Ryan Gosling crossed with Prince, weds the hot-blooded Mexican Natasha (Bárbara Mori) to get her a green card. They swoon; he must then rescue her from becoming the moll of a casino gangster. The pulp is served thick, with so much sincerely purple passion it’s disarming. B-
HELLO, MY LOVE Barbara Mori and Hrithik Roshan in Kites
Genre: Romance, Action/Adventure; Release Date Wide: 05/21/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 130; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars': 'something symbolic about new generation and old coming together'
- 'Furious 7' wins at box office; No. 5 in all-time global earnings
- 'Goodfellas' reunion: 8 'funny' stories from the cast Q&A