Kites has one dance number staged in the chop-chop style of a bad ’80s music video, but the latest Bollywood import isn’t a musical. It’s a romantic noir chase thriller made in the violently schlocky spirit of Sam Peckinpah’s The Getaway. Jay Ray (Hrithik Roshan), a Vegas hustler who looks like Ryan Gosling crossed with Prince, weds the hot-blooded Mexican Natasha (Bárbara Mori) to get her a green card. They swoon; he must then rescue her from becoming the moll of a casino gangster. The pulp is served thick, with so much sincerely purple passion it’s disarming. B-
HELLO, MY LOVE Barbara Mori and Hrithik Roshan in Kites
Genre: Romance, Action/Adventure; Release Date Wide: 05/21/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 130; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 26 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Football stars cheer 'Eddie the Eagle' in film’s Super Bowl spot
- T.J. Miller reveals some of the lines too dirty for 'Deadpool'
- Nicholas Sparks: 'No one wanted to play Noah' in 'The Notebook'
- Emma Watson, Benedict Cumberbatch named visiting fellows at Oxford
- Salma Hayek visits ER in ‘inappropriate’ shirt after on-set injury
- 'The Witch' is 'a Puritan's nightmare' in new featurette
- War is coming in the 'Gods of Egypt' Super Bowl TV spot