The Tony award-winning Hair revival will be closing its doors, according to a press release from the producers. The final performance will take place July 27 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre “having recouped [the show’s] entire investment and generating a profit,” the release reads. The revival began three years ago as a free performance in Central Park, and won the Tony last year for Best Revival of a Musical. Ticket sales, however, had dropped after the original cast left Broadway in early March to perform the show on London’s West End – in February, Hair, under the original cast, was playing above 80 percent capacity; the show played at 47 percent capacity for the week ending May 31. (The show currently stars American Idol alums Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young). Audiences can still see the production after July 27, when it heads out on its first national tour in October.
Posted January 18 2015 — 5:51 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!