The Tony award-winning Hair revival will be closing its doors, according to a press release from the producers. The final performance will take place July 27 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre “having recouped [the show’s] entire investment and generating a profit,” the release reads. The revival began three years ago as a free performance in Central Park, and won the Tony last year for Best Revival of a Musical. Ticket sales, however, had dropped after the original cast left Broadway in early March to perform the show on London’s West End – in February, Hair, under the original cast, was playing above 80 percent capacity; the show played at 47 percent capacity for the week ending May 31. (The show currently stars American Idol alums Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young). Audiences can still see the production after July 27, when it heads out on its first national tour in October.
Posted June 9 2010 — 5:37 PM EDT
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!