Out of an unlikely confluence of art and sex — the legendary couturier had an affair with Stravinsky in 1920 while the brilliant composer, his wife, and his kids lived in Chanel’s country villa — comes a fussy, artsy, movie-fied imagining. In Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky, the costumes are gorgeous; the music is The Rite of Spring, ? including an interesting re-creation of the riot that ensued at the first performance in 1913. But the movie, by Dutch director Jan Kounen, is all surfaces, set pieces, Significant Looks, and voguing — the same strictures Chanel and Stravinsky sought to bust. C
LOVE AFFAIR The adulterous couple in Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (Regine Abadia)
Genre: Historical, Biography; Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, Anna Mouglalis; Director: Jan Kounen; Release Date Limited: 06/11/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted June 10 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Zoe Saldana goes green (again) for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele are engaged
- Adele’s '25' smashes records with first-week album sales
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'