Eric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn’t learned the first rule of documentarians: Don’t get too close to your subject. When a Chicago woman hires him to make a film about the childhood of her billionaire father-in-law, she lends him one of the man’s prized possessions, a mysteriously cold bottle of Pluto mineral water (a real-life product from the early 20th century). No sooner does Eric sneak a sip than he begins having hallucinations of the man’s deep, dark past in rural Indiana. Michael Koryta, the author of first-rate Midwest-set mysteries, swigs from the fount of Stephen King with So Cold the River — much of the story takes place in a resort hotel á la The Shining — but the result is more creepy than truly terrifying. B
So Cold the RiverEric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn't learned the first rule of documentarians: Don't get too close to your subject. When a...So Cold the RiverMystery and Thriller, FictionMichael KorytaEric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn't learned the first rule of documentarians: Don't get too close to your subject. When a...2010-06-16Little Brown & Company
So Cold the River by Michael Koryta
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Michael Koryta; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted June 16 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!