Eric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn’t learned the first rule of documentarians: Don’t get too close to your subject. When a Chicago woman hires him to make a film about the childhood of her billionaire father-in-law, she lends him one of the man’s prized possessions, a mysteriously cold bottle of Pluto mineral water (a real-life product from the early 20th century). No sooner does Eric sneak a sip than he begins having hallucinations of the man’s deep, dark past in rural Indiana. Michael Koryta, the author of first-rate Midwest-set mysteries, swigs from the fount of Stephen King with So Cold the River — much of the story takes place in a resort hotel á la The Shining — but the result is more creepy than truly terrifying. B
So Cold the RiverEric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn't learned the first rule of documentarians: Don't get too close to your subject. When a...So Cold the RiverMystery and Thriller, FictionMichael KorytaEric Shaw, a filmmaker for hire in this well-?plotted yarn, hasn't learned the first rule of documentarians: Don't get too close to your subject. When a...2010-06-16Little Brown & Company
So Cold the River by Michael Koryta
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Michael Koryta; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted June 16 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!