In Vendela Vida’s third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey where they honeymooned. Yvonne, both dignified and terrifically vulnerable, makes for a moving companion throughout this dreamy story of reawakening. Vida has a cinematic flair for storytelling. Of the desiccated town to which Yvonne returns, she writes, “It had been looted by tide and tourists and the scalding sun that robbed boats of their color.” The character wrestles with her many identities — widow, woman, teacher, mother — as she struggles to see herself with clarity. It’s a novel that demands a movie version starring Meryl Streep. A?
The LoversIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...The LoversFictionVendela VidaIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...2010-06-23Ecco Press
The Lovers by Vendela Vida
Genre: Fiction; Author: Vendela Vida; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!