In Vendela Vida’s third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey where they honeymooned. Yvonne, both dignified and terrifically vulnerable, makes for a moving companion throughout this dreamy story of reawakening. Vida has a cinematic flair for storytelling. Of the desiccated town to which Yvonne returns, she writes, “It had been looted by tide and tourists and the scalding sun that robbed boats of their color.” The character wrestles with her many identities — widow, woman, teacher, mother — as she struggles to see herself with clarity. It’s a novel that demands a movie version starring Meryl Streep. A?
The LoversIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...The LoversFictionVendela VidaIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...2010-06-23Ecco Press
The Lovers by Vendela Vida
Genre: Fiction; Author: Vendela Vida; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted June 23 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- First Look: Lucy Lane on 'Supergirl'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!