In Vendela Vida’s third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey where they honeymooned. Yvonne, both dignified and terrifically vulnerable, makes for a moving companion throughout this dreamy story of reawakening. Vida has a cinematic flair for storytelling. Of the desiccated town to which Yvonne returns, she writes, “It had been looted by tide and tourists and the scalding sun that robbed boats of their color.” The character wrestles with her many identities — widow, woman, teacher, mother — as she struggles to see herself with clarity. It’s a novel that demands a movie version starring Meryl Streep. A?
The LoversIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...The LoversFictionVendela VidaIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...2010-06-23Ecco Press
The Lovers by Vendela Vida
Genre: Fiction; Author: Vendela Vida; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted June 23 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!