In Vendela Vida’s third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey where they honeymooned. Yvonne, both dignified and terrifically vulnerable, makes for a moving companion throughout this dreamy story of reawakening. Vida has a cinematic flair for storytelling. Of the desiccated town to which Yvonne returns, she writes, “It had been looted by tide and tourists and the scalding sun that robbed boats of their color.” The character wrestles with her many identities — widow, woman, teacher, mother — as she struggles to see herself with clarity. It’s a novel that demands a movie version starring Meryl Streep. A?
The LoversIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...The LoversFictionVendela VidaIn Vendela Vida's third novel, The Lovers, a middle-aged woman, grieving over the death of her husband, returns to the village in Turkey...2010-06-23Ecco Press
The Lovers by Vendela Vida
Genre: Fiction; Author: Vendela Vida; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted June 23 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Eric Church's poignant new music video for 'Record Year'
- The 10 most peak Drake lyrics on ‘Views'
- Silentó teases final 'Let's Dance' tour dates
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' features a cameo by Dazzler... and Taylor Swift?
- An oral history of 'The Wire' is coming in book form
- '12 Monkeys' sneak peek: Cole and Railly hunt Messengers in the past
- 'The O.C.': 5-minute oral history on the shocking season 2 finale
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch