The setting sounds promising: a legal brothel just outside Reno in 1976. And so does the casting of Helen Mirren as the crooked-grinned, tough-broad madam who runs the place along with her whore-loving hustler of a husband (Joe Pesci, in a rug that makes him look like Elvis at 80). But the director, Taylor Hackford, fails to squeeze the tiniest bit of juice, sexy or comic or otherwise, out of the chintzy-libertine locale. Instead, Love Ranch gets bogged down in a super-tired plot about a boxer (Sergio Peris-Mencheta) who’s saintly damaged goods. D
BUT WHO HAS PRETTIER HAIR? Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci enjoy the '70s in Love Ranch (Richard Foreman)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Helen Mirren, Joe Pesci, Bryan Cranston; Director: Taylor Hackford; Author: Mark Jacobson; Release Date Limited: 06/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!