The setting sounds promising: a legal brothel just outside Reno in 1976. And so does the casting of Helen Mirren as the crooked-grinned, tough-broad madam who runs the place along with her whore-loving hustler of a husband (Joe Pesci, in a rug that makes him look like Elvis at 80). But the director, Taylor Hackford, fails to squeeze the tiniest bit of juice, sexy or comic or otherwise, out of the chintzy-libertine locale. Instead, Love Ranch gets bogged down in a super-tired plot about a boxer (Sergio Peris-Mencheta) who’s saintly damaged goods. D
BUT WHO HAS PRETTIER HAIR? Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci enjoy the '70s in Love Ranch (Richard Foreman)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Helen Mirren, Joe Pesci, Bryan Cranston; Director: Taylor Hackford; Author: Mark Jacobson; Release Date Limited: 06/30/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 117; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 30 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Walking Dead' premiere ratings top even football
- Emilia Clarke is Esquire's sexiest woman alive
- YA authors Meg Wolitzer, Ally Condie, and Jandy Nelson announce book tour together
- Charlize Theron in talks to star as gender-swapped lead in 'The Gray Man'
- Giorgio Moroder remixes My Morning Jacket's 'Compound Fracture'
- Tinashe on the empowering message of female friendship she learned from Nicki Minaj
- Hear Jessie Ware's take on 'Cinderella' song 'A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes'
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6
- Cast Reunions: See Costars Then And Now