Melissa Etheridge’s ex, Popular star Tammy Lynn Michaels, has filed for full legal and physical custody of the couple’s three-year-old twins, People reports. She’s asking that Etheridge, who filed papers July 2 to end their partnership with a request for joint custody and no spousal support, receive visitation and pay spousal support. Michaels’ lawyer told People she filed paperwork to dissolve their marriage. “Tammy filed a dissolution of marriage, because in her eyes this was a marriage. Both she and Melissa gave it the dignity of a marriage – they had a marital ceremony back in 2001,” attorney Steve Knowles said. “If the court system says there was no such thing as a marriage and tells us we have to amend it to a domestic partnership, so be it. It’s a symbolic act on Tammy’s part….” The couple held a commitment ceremony at Dick Clark’s oceanside Malibu estate in 2001, attended by friends including Steven Spielberg. They registered as domestic partners in 2005, before Michaels gave birth to their twins in 2006.
Posted July 9 2010 — 8:55 AM EDT
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'