Back in 1987, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, and their impossibly large biceps strapped on some serious firepower and headed into the Guatemalan jungle to tangle with an invisible alien killing machine known to red-meat action aficionados as the Predator. Now, 23 years later, comes Predators an entirely unnecessary new installment in the sci-fi splatter cycle directed by Vacancy’s Nimrod Antal from an ancient Robert Rodriguez script that Fox should have left in mothballs. Here’s the set-up: A nasty bunch of criminals, mercenaries, and Yakuza types get shipped off to a distant planet only to find out that they’re human prey for everybody’s favorite dreadlocked, pincer-faced, spinal cord-extracting beasties. Think of it as Avatar with more gore, a lot less wit, and Adrien Brody (and his Situation-like abs) as the alpha-male leader of a doomed pack of tough guys, gruffly barking orders as he tries to get inside the mind of you know who. Topher Grace does his signature smart-ass quipster thing, Alice Braga is the tough chick with a big heart, and Laurence Fishburne drops by to lend the film its only bit of unpredictable fun as a loco, Kurtz-like soldier of fortune who’s gone native. These aren’t characters, they’re cardboard clichés lining up for the body count. As a fan of Schwarzenegger’s macho, heart-of-darkness original, it gives me no pleasure to say that Predators is an uninspired mess of mediocre action scenes strung together until the final reel. But it gives me even less pleasure to add that that final reel leaves room for a sequel. The horror. C-
HE AIN'T GOT TIME TO BLEED Adrien Brody in Predators (Rico Torres)
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Alice Braga, Adrien Brody; Director: Nimrod Antal; Author: Alex Litvak, Michael Finch; Release Date Wide: 07/09/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 107; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 12 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!