When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great. Especially because Mads Mikkelsen (who had different eye troubles in Casino Royale) reunites with Nicolas Winding Refn, the swaggering Danish filmmaker of mad-men dramas who launched Mikkelsen’s career 14 years ago with the great Pusher trilogy. This epic showdown between Christians and savages is enhanced by a toe-curling chainsaw musical score by Peter Kyed and Peter Peter. Bonus: When One Eye (that’s his name) gets one of his visions, the screen turns the color of blood. (Available on cable via on demand) B+
THIS WON'T END WELL Mads Mikkelsen finds himself in a sticky situation in Valhalla Rising
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, ; Director: Nicolas Winding Refn; Author: Nicolas Winding Refn; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York
- Watch the trailer for HBO's 'Larry Kramer in Love & Anger'
- Sir Ian McKellen on coming out: 'I became not just a happier person, but a better actor'
- Suspect arrested in Lil Wayne tour bus shooting
- Heavy metal fans are the most loyal, Spotify says
- James Franco yells about poop in Shia LaBeouf parody video