When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great. Especially because Mads Mikkelsen (who had different eye troubles in Casino Royale) reunites with Nicolas Winding Refn, the swaggering Danish filmmaker of mad-men dramas who launched Mikkelsen’s career 14 years ago with the great Pusher trilogy. This epic showdown between Christians and savages is enhanced by a toe-curling chainsaw musical score by Peter Kyed and Peter Peter. Bonus: When One Eye (that’s his name) gets one of his visions, the screen turns the color of blood. (Available on cable via on demand) B+
THIS WON'T END WELL Mads Mikkelsen finds himself in a sticky situation in Valhalla Rising
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, ; Director: Nicolas Winding Refn; Author: Nicolas Winding Refn; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anne Hathaway is pregnant
- New look at 'Batman v Superman' will debut during 'Gotham' fall finale
- Daniel Radcliffe says he was 'not wanking' on set of 'Harry Potter'
- Matthew Weiner will direct an episode of 'Orange is the New Black'
- Deathwatch Winter TV Survival Odds
- M.I.A. follows group of refugees in powerful 'Borders' video
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'The Flash,' 'HTGAWM,' 'Arrow,' & more