When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great. Especially because Mads Mikkelsen (who had different eye troubles in Casino Royale) reunites with Nicolas Winding Refn, the swaggering Danish filmmaker of mad-men dramas who launched Mikkelsen’s career 14 years ago with the great Pusher trilogy. This epic showdown between Christians and savages is enhanced by a toe-curling chainsaw musical score by Peter Kyed and Peter Peter. Bonus: When One Eye (that’s his name) gets one of his visions, the screen turns the color of blood. (Available on cable via on demand) B+
THIS WON'T END WELL Mads Mikkelsen finds himself in a sticky situation in Valhalla Rising
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, ; Director: Nicolas Winding Refn; Author: Nicolas Winding Refn; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game