When it comes to crazy, violent, semidelirious, testosterone-laden, proto-Viking tales about a mute visionary one-eyed warrior who breaks skulls, Valhalla Rising is pretty great. Especially because Mads Mikkelsen (who had different eye troubles in Casino Royale) reunites with Nicolas Winding Refn, the swaggering Danish filmmaker of mad-men dramas who launched Mikkelsen’s career 14 years ago with the great Pusher trilogy. This epic showdown between Christians and savages is enhanced by a toe-curling chainsaw musical score by Peter Kyed and Peter Peter. Bonus: When One Eye (that’s his name) gets one of his visions, the screen turns the color of blood. (Available on cable via on demand) B+
THIS WON'T END WELL Mads Mikkelsen finds himself in a sticky situation in Valhalla Rising
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Mads Mikkelsen, ; Director: Nicolas Winding Refn; Author: Nicolas Winding Refn; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'