This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco: With a title from Talking Heads, Life During Wartime is obsessive filmmaker Todd Solondz’s creepy/ beautiful, engrossing/repellent follow-up to his 1998 dystopian family epic Happiness. In fact, the same dystopian family from Happiness is back, played by a new cast. And Solondz pokes at the clan’s tender wounds in a kind of where-are-they-now reverie. One update: Pedophile dad (Ciarán Hinds) is out of prison. Another: The drama has moved from New Jersey to Miami, captured in a color-saturated palette that magnifies the heartbreak. The hard things to accept — let alone forgive — about human behavior are still hard. In a staring contest with his audience, Solondz never blinks. He picks and picks at the themes that consume him, and he doesn’t care who stays and who leaves. Me, I’m rapt. (Available on cable via on demand) B+
NOT EXACTLY JUNE CLEAVER Allison Janney in Life During Wartime (Francisco Roman)
Genre: Comedy, Drama; Starring: Allison Janney, Paul Reubens, Ciaran Hinds, Charlotte Rampling, Ally Sheedy; Director: Todd Solondz; Author: Todd Solondz; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted July 21 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office report: 'Focus' beats 'Fifty Shades'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!