People scoffed when Tom Jones showed up in Martin Scorsese’s PBS documentary series The Blues alongside the likes of Eric ?Clapton. But Mr. ”What’s New, Pussycat?” has an unmistakable flair for black vernacular music. On Praise & Blame, the singer revels in gutbucket and gospel, delivering 12 emotionally charged sermon-songs with raw-throated abandon. Who knows? He might yet get some respect from blooze purists. B+
Praise & BlamePeople scoffed when Tom Jones showed up in Martin Scorsese's PBS documentary series The Blues alongside the likes of Eric ?Clapton. But Mr. '...Praise & BlameBlues, R&BPeople scoffed when Tom Jones showed up in Martin Scorsese's PBS documentary series The Blues alongside the likes of Eric ?Clapton. But Mr. '...2010-07-21
IT'S NOT UNUSUAL Tom Jones
Genre: Blues, R&B; Lead Performer: Tom Jones (Musician)
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys': Ramse arc 'planned from first minute'
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!