Kevin Kline swans about as Henry, a strange, lonely older man who escorts wealthy widows to social events — he’s The Extra Man. Paul Dano dawdles as Louis, a strange, lonely young man who lodges in Henry’s apartment and enjoys wearing women’s clothes. What feels enjoyably outré in the 1998 coming-of-age novel by Jonathan Ames (creator of HBO’s Bored to Death) feels oppressively outré in this deadened, literal adaptation. C
THE MUSTACHE MATCHES THE TIE Kevin Kline is The Extra Man
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Katie Holmes, John C. Reilly; Director: Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini; Author: Jonathan Ames, Robert Pulcini; Release Date Wide: 07/30/2010; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted July 28 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt