Teen sweethearts (Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe) offer a he said/she said history of their courtship in the 1950s nostalgiafest Flipped, based on a popular young-adult novel. Despite having one of the genre’s classics (1986’s Stand by Me) on his résumé, director Rob Reiner turns this coming-of-age story into a clumsy mash of tired golden-oldie vignettes and overheated drama. Worse, he vacuum-seals it all in a patronizingly wholesome package, like an extended episode of The Wonder Years with all the wonder sucked out. C-
BACK IN THE OLD DAYS Callan McAuliffe and Stefanie Scott in Flipped (Ben Glass)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Rebecca De Mornay, Anthony Edwards, John Mahoney; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: Rob Reiner; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 4 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lilly Singh's debut book, 'HOW TO BE A BAWSE,' due out in 2017
- FOLD New York City: Nile Rodgers, Bette Midler to perform
- Baz Luhrmann's 'The Get Down' debuts new trailer
- Funny or Die to launch new original series 'Tween Fest'
- Meg Ryan on her onscreen reunion with Tom Hanks
- Lena Dunham's Lenny releases guide to reporting online harassment
- David Cross returns to the stage in new stand-up special trailer
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'