Teen sweethearts (Madeline Carroll and Callan McAuliffe) offer a he said/she said history of their courtship in the 1950s nostalgiafest Flipped, based on a popular young-adult novel. Despite having one of the genre’s classics (1986’s Stand by Me) on his résumé, director Rob Reiner turns this coming-of-age story into a clumsy mash of tired golden-oldie vignettes and overheated drama. Worse, he vacuum-seals it all in a patronizingly wholesome package, like an extended episode of The Wonder Years with all the wonder sucked out. C-
BACK IN THE OLD DAYS Callan McAuliffe and Stefanie Scott in Flipped (Ben Glass)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Rebecca De Mornay, Anthony Edwards, John Mahoney; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: Rob Reiner; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 4 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!