The former Tonight Show host, who died in 2005, set up a foundation in 1988 that has continued to receive a reported $156 million from a personal trust established by Carson, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The Smoking Gun obtained a 2010 tax return which indicates that the John W. Carson Foundation received $32.5 million in cash and $121.2 million in securities and royal rights from the John W. Carson Trust. Carson’s foundation supports a variety of organizations, including Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and Planned Parenthood.
Posted August 9 2010 — 12:00 PM EDT
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors
- Cecilia Hart, wife of James Earl Jones, dies at 68
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories