David Wolper, the legendary Hollywood producer who brought Roots and The Thorn Birds to the small screen, has died at 82 of congestive heart failure and complications from Parkinson’s Disease, according to the AP. Roots was watched by 130 million people back in 1977, roughly half the population of the country at the time. Wolper also produced for the big screen, including 1971’s Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and, years later, 1997’s Oscar-winning police drama LA Confidential.
Posted August 11 2010 — 6:36 PM EDT
- Avengers take on Ultron in 'Marvel Heroes 2016' game update
- The Hold Steady announce 'Boys & Girls in America' anniversary shows
- How Hot 97 inspired Anohni's dark new album 'Hopelessness'
- WATCH: Viggo Mortensen looking for answers in 'Captain Fantastic' clip
- Bethany Cosentino slams music industry sexism on 'The Daily Show'
- Train announces Led Zeppelin cover album
- Game of Thrones: How death changes Jon Snow