In The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives remain fitfully entwined throughout the years. The author, whose last novel, Labor Day, was more satisfying and sure-footed, seems to think she’s weaving a knotty tale of family secrets, told in the alternating voices of her likable main characters. And yet all her twists are clumsily telegraphed. At times there’s a thudding repetition to her writing, as if Maynard didn’t trust ? her readers to pick up on dropped meanings and clues. That makes this less a pleasurably tense read than a tedious one. C
The Good DaughtersIn The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives...The Good DaughtersFictionJoyce MaynardIn The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives...2010-08-11William Morrow
The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard
Genre: Fiction; Author: Joyce Maynard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted August 11 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- See Daniel Radcliffe play 'Grand Theft Auto' creator in new movie
- The 'Age of Ultron' gag reel proves the Avengers are only human (well, except Thor)
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!