In The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives remain fitfully entwined throughout the years. The author, whose last novel, Labor Day, was more satisfying and sure-footed, seems to think she’s weaving a knotty tale of family secrets, told in the alternating voices of her likable main characters. And yet all her twists are clumsily telegraphed. At times there’s a thudding repetition to her writing, as if Maynard didn’t trust ? her readers to pick up on dropped meanings and clues. That makes this less a pleasurably tense read than a tedious one. C
The Good DaughtersIn The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives...The Good DaughtersFictionJoyce MaynardIn The Good Daughters, Joyce Maynard writes about two baby girls born on the same day in a rural New Hampshire hospital whose lives...2010-08-11William Morrow
The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard
Genre: Fiction; Author: Joyce Maynard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Game of Thrones,' 'SHIELD,' 'Arrow' and more
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Castle' sneak peek: Did Beckett and Castle just dig their own graves?
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst reminds everyone he is not Robert Durst
- Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool...on a bearskin rug: 'With great power, comes great irresponsibility'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!