Alan G. Parker’s documentary Who Killed Nancy? takes a scary, fascinating deep dive into the punk-rock abyss of former Sex Pistol Sid Vicious and his American groupie girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Their solipsistic heroin-den love affair is a hell-bent comedy of mishap (Alex Cox’s Sid & Nancy caught it quite accurately), but the laughs get stuck in your throat when you hear an eyewitness account of how Sid strangled a cat. The question the film comes around to is, Did he also kill Nancy? That’s what the police decided after she died of a single stab wound on Oct. 12, 1978, at NYC’s Chelsea Hotel. But the film offers evidence that Vicious spent the entire night out cold on barbiturates. It plants resonant doubts. B+
TRUE ROMANCE Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen in the documentary Who Killed Nancy?
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Netflix orders season 2 of 'Bloodline'
- 'Room 237' team launches Kickstarter campaign for mysterious new project
- Nathan Fillion shares his love letter to 'Walking Dead'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!