Alan G. Parker’s documentary Who Killed Nancy? takes a scary, fascinating deep dive into the punk-rock abyss of former Sex Pistol Sid Vicious and his American groupie girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Their solipsistic heroin-den love affair is a hell-bent comedy of mishap (Alex Cox’s Sid & Nancy caught it quite accurately), but the laughs get stuck in your throat when you hear an eyewitness account of how Sid strangled a cat. The question the film comes around to is, Did he also kill Nancy? That’s what the police decided after she died of a single stab wound on Oct. 12, 1978, at NYC’s Chelsea Hotel. But the film offers evidence that Vicious spent the entire night out cold on barbiturates. It plants resonant doubts. B+
TRUE ROMANCE Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen in the documentary Who Killed Nancy?
Posted August 11 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!