Alan G. Parker’s documentary Who Killed Nancy? takes a scary, fascinating deep dive into the punk-rock abyss of former Sex Pistol Sid Vicious and his American groupie girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Their solipsistic heroin-den love affair is a hell-bent comedy of mishap (Alex Cox’s Sid & Nancy caught it quite accurately), but the laughs get stuck in your throat when you hear an eyewitness account of how Sid strangled a cat. The question the film comes around to is, Did he also kill Nancy? That’s what the police decided after she died of a single stab wound on Oct. 12, 1978, at NYC’s Chelsea Hotel. But the film offers evidence that Vicious spent the entire night out cold on barbiturates. It plants resonant doubts. B+
TRUE ROMANCE Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen in the documentary Who Killed Nancy?
Posted August 11 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'Star Wars' toys revealed in 'Rogue One' stop-motion video
- 'Waco' miniseries starring Taylor Kitsch, Michael Shannon in the works
- Lauren Conrad has a girl crush on 'Game of Thrones' star Emilia Clarke
- Kerry Washington developing female police drama at ABC
- Garth Brooks to singing Ashton Kutcher: 'Don’t quit your day job'
- 'Dead of Summer': Who survived the deadly summer?
- Nick Viall named the next Bachelor