Alan G. Parker’s documentary Who Killed Nancy? takes a scary, fascinating deep dive into the punk-rock abyss of former Sex Pistol Sid Vicious and his American groupie girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Their solipsistic heroin-den love affair is a hell-bent comedy of mishap (Alex Cox’s Sid & Nancy caught it quite accurately), but the laughs get stuck in your throat when you hear an eyewitness account of how Sid strangled a cat. The question the film comes around to is, Did he also kill Nancy? That’s what the police decided after she died of a single stab wound on Oct. 12, 1978, at NYC’s Chelsea Hotel. But the film offers evidence that Vicious spent the entire night out cold on barbiturates. It plants resonant doubts. B+
TRUE ROMANCE Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen in the documentary Who Killed Nancy?
Posted August 11 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- Emily Ratajkowski is over 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the bane of my existence'
- Janet Jackson shares powerful new single, 'Unbreakable'
- ESPN extends Curt Schilling's suspension through MLB season
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!