Alan G. Parker’s documentary Who Killed Nancy? takes a scary, fascinating deep dive into the punk-rock abyss of former Sex Pistol Sid Vicious and his American groupie girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Their solipsistic heroin-den love affair is a hell-bent comedy of mishap (Alex Cox’s Sid & Nancy caught it quite accurately), but the laughs get stuck in your throat when you hear an eyewitness account of how Sid strangled a cat. The question the film comes around to is, Did he also kill Nancy? That’s what the police decided after she died of a single stab wound on Oct. 12, 1978, at NYC’s Chelsea Hotel. But the film offers evidence that Vicious spent the entire night out cold on barbiturates. It plants resonant doubts. B+
TRUE ROMANCE Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen in the documentary Who Killed Nancy?
Posted August 11 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!