Yes, Courteney Cox, as divorced Realtor Jules, is at first on the prowl for boy toys, but she’s at her best when surrounded by her makeshift family—her teen son (Dan Byrd), her cad neighbor (Josh Hopkins), the couple next door (Christa Miller and Ian Gomez), her slacker ex (Brian Van Holt), and her wild co-worker (Busy Philipps)—and buoyed by the wine that is ever flowing. Over time, the show evolves from a frantic farce into a cozy home for misfit talents: Byrd’s perfect understatement, Hopkins’ goofy sex appeal, Philipps’ brassy trashiness. The EXTRAS work hard to underscore this point, anchored by a doc called “Taming Cougar Town,” but the point is taken: Ignore the terrible title and you’ll find a solid ensemble comedy at its pinot-soaked center. B+
Cougar Town: The Complete First Season Courtney Cox (Michael Desmond/ABC)
Posted August 19 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tom Hanks asks Zoltar from 'Big' for yet another wish
- What to Watch Tuesday: 'This Is Us' goes to the Super Bowl (sort of)
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big