Emma Thompson’s warty, snaggletoothed, Mary Poppins-ish character returns to a nostalgia-colored England of teapots and cowpats. In the sequel Nanny McPhee Returns, the lumpy lady is summoned to the farmhouse of a frazzled mum (Maggie Gyllenhaal) trying to cope with three kids and their two snooty, rich city cousins while Daddy (Ewan McGregor) is away at an undisclosed war. Thompson, who also wrote the script, has skittery, baffling fun enjoining her plummy guest actors (including Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, and Maggie Smith) to play broad Brit types. Kid viewers will have fun with the references to barnyard poo, poo of all sorts, poo to reckon with. B-
HUSH HUSH Emma Thompson needs silence in Nanny McPhee Returns (Liam Daniel)
Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson; Director: Susanna White; Author: Emma Thompson; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations