Emma Thompson’s warty, snaggletoothed, Mary Poppins-ish character returns to a nostalgia-colored England of teapots and cowpats. In the sequel Nanny McPhee Returns, the lumpy lady is summoned to the farmhouse of a frazzled mum (Maggie Gyllenhaal) trying to cope with three kids and their two snooty, rich city cousins while Daddy (Ewan McGregor) is away at an undisclosed war. Thompson, who also wrote the script, has skittery, baffling fun enjoining her plummy guest actors (including Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, and Maggie Smith) to play broad Brit types. Kid viewers will have fun with the references to barnyard poo, poo of all sorts, poo to reckon with. B-
HUSH HUSH Emma Thompson needs silence in Nanny McPhee Returns (Liam Daniel)
Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson; Director: Susanna White; Author: Emma Thompson; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!