Emma Thompson’s warty, snaggletoothed, Mary Poppins-ish character returns to a nostalgia-colored England of teapots and cowpats. In the sequel Nanny McPhee Returns, the lumpy lady is summoned to the farmhouse of a frazzled mum (Maggie Gyllenhaal) trying to cope with three kids and their two snooty, rich city cousins while Daddy (Ewan McGregor) is away at an undisclosed war. Thompson, who also wrote the script, has skittery, baffling fun enjoining her plummy guest actors (including Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, and Maggie Smith) to play broad Brit types. Kid viewers will have fun with the references to barnyard poo, poo of all sorts, poo to reckon with. B-
HUSH HUSH Emma Thompson needs silence in Nanny McPhee Returns (Liam Daniel)
Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson; Director: Susanna White; Author: Emma Thompson; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Timberlake's illegal voting booth selfie is 'under review'
- 'This Is Us' preview: Creator Dan Fogelman on 'The Game Plan'
- Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid perform Justin Bieber's 'Baby'
- Bob Saget teases 'Fuller House' Thanksgiving episode with new photo
- Donald Trump says he has ‘no interest’ in Trump TV
- Australian 'Bachelor' contestants fall in love with each other
- Amy Schumer responds to backlash from 'Formation' parody video
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop