Emma Thompson’s warty, snaggletoothed, Mary Poppins-ish character returns to a nostalgia-colored England of teapots and cowpats. In the sequel Nanny McPhee Returns, the lumpy lady is summoned to the farmhouse of a frazzled mum (Maggie Gyllenhaal) trying to cope with three kids and their two snooty, rich city cousins while Daddy (Ewan McGregor) is away at an undisclosed war. Thompson, who also wrote the script, has skittery, baffling fun enjoining her plummy guest actors (including Ralph Fiennes, Rhys Ifans, and Maggie Smith) to play broad Brit types. Kid viewers will have fun with the references to barnyard poo, poo of all sorts, poo to reckon with. B-
HUSH HUSH Emma Thompson needs silence in Nanny McPhee Returns (Liam Daniel)
Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emma Thompson; Director: Susanna White; Author: Emma Thompson; Release Date Wide: 08/20/2010; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Universal
Posted August 20 2010 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday
- Carey Mulligan praises Jennifer Lawrence’s wage gap essay
- Taylor Swift fan meets singer before losing her hearing